When We Are Closed

People in County Durham and Darlington can now call 111 when they need help fast, but it isn’t a 999 emergency.

111 will get you through to a team of fully-trained advisers supported by experienced nurses, who will assess your symptoms and then put you directly in touch with the people who can help.

Whether you need an out of hours doctor, a district nurse, a 24 hour chemist or an emergency dentist, the 111 team will make sure you get the right help first time.

If we think you need an ambulance, we will send one immediately – just as if you had originally dialled 999.

The NHS111 service is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year across the County Durham and Darlington areas. Calls from landlines and mobile phones are free – just like 999.

So remember: call 111, when it’s less urgent than 999.

In an emergency telephone 999 for an ambulance or paramedic.

Tel: NHS 111 and 'Talk Before You Walk'

What services will be provided?

The Out of Hours GP Service provides urgent health services when the surgery is closed in the evenings, at night, at weekends and on public holidays.

Your GP out of hours service will be available:

Monday – Friday: From 18:00 to 08:00 the following morning.

Weekends: From 08:00 on Saturday to 08:00 on Monday morning.

Bank Holidays: From 18:00 the night before the public holiday until 08:00 the day after.

What will happen when I call?

The NHS 111 service is staffed by a team of fully trained advisers, supported by experienced nurses. They will ask you questions to assess your symptoms, then give you the healthcare advice you need or direct you straightaway to the local service that can help you best. That could be A&E, an out-of-hours doctor, an urgent care centre or a walk-in centre, a community nurse, an emergency dentist or a late-opening chemist.

Where possible, the NHS 111 team will book you an appointment or transfer you directly to the people you need to speak to.

Please remember that in most cases it is best to see your own GP in working hours, and this service should only be used for urgent conditions that cannot wait until your own surgery is open.

How will I get to the Urgent Care Centre?

You will need to make your own way to the Urgent Care Centre. Transport may be provided in certain circumstances.

What about home visits?

A home visit will only be made if it is considered necessary by a health care professional. Home visits are usually only made to the terminally ill and the permanently bed bound.

All other patients should be seen in the well-equipped centre where the best of care can be provided.

Access to Emergency Services

To enable everyone to get the best out of NHS services, please note the following:

  • Only use the local hospital accident and emergency department (A&E) for emergencies or accidents which require specialist medical care
  • If you need dental care you should call your own dentist. However, if you do not have a dentist or have a dental emergency call 111
  • Only call 999 in an emergency
  • Using A&E when you do not need it may interfere with the care of those who have life threatening conditions.

A&E services are provided from:

  • Darlington Memorial Hospital 01325 380100
  • University Hospital of North Durham 0191 333 2333
Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website